ruffled singlet experiment

I am a big fan of girly ruffles. They look cute on tops, layered in skirts and they never seem to go out of fashion. I  like that ruffles can be worn casually with a cropped little cardi or dressed up with some cute pearls and a hair flower. I hope they never go out of vogue!

Recently I stumbled across Ruffles and Stuff and was inspired by Disney's way of re-fashioning clothes and jewellery using ruffles, pearls and all things girly. She has put up some lovely tutorials for a variety of projects, but I decided to test my sewing skills and try to make a ruffled embellishment for one of my plain and boring singlets without help.

Here are the results:



I am happy with how it turned out, even though I ran into some issues. I forgot the cardinal rule of ruffling- make sure you have enough length as the fabric will bunch up when it's gathered. Duh.
Anyway, I managed to fix it and get it to a state where I would be happy to wear it.

The middle piece is a fabric I adore and have been sitting on for 6 months trying to work out how I can use it. I found the lovely lace at Spotlight and I like the way it ties it together.

Next time, I'll make longer ruffles with lots of gathers so they pop out. I'll also experiment with different trims like ribbon and buttons to see what other looks I can create.

Stay tuned for a tutorial on how to add a cute little ruffle to your own boring singlet.

Yay for ruffles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always try my best to get back to you and return the love. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...