zippered purse experiment

I like making zippered purses for lots of reasons. They're cute, handy and I can complete one in about an hour which appeals to my impatient/short attention span side.

Recently I was out shopping and came across a little zippered purse with a front zippered pocket. I had a good look at it and figured out how I could make it myself and save $16.
I had a fat quarter of cute kokka fabric at home and some leftover denim I have been wanting to use for awhile. I think they suited the project really well.

Here are some pics of the end result taken by my clever husband.

front

back
inside main pocket

inside front pocket

The zippered pocket at the front turned out pretty well but is a little crooked! 
I like the little applique ballerina on the back. She's from another part of the same piece of fabric, and since I couldn't fit her on the front I included her on the back.

appliqued ballerina

I think it's quite a versatile style and would probably look good as a long pencilcase. I think next time I'll also experiment with fusible fleece or some heavy interfacing to give it more body, and include a strap. I think if I were to make pencilcases I'd probably need to use metal zippers for extra strength, although I am not sure how you sew a metal zipper without breaking a needle.... any suggestions?

What do you think? Any comments or feedback would be very welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Really cute! The denim looks great teamed with the fabric. I've got some old jeans in my scrap pile, you're giving me ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will always try my best to get back to you and return the love. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...